Giuseppe Bovara (1781-1873)
Architect and designer who realizes all his works in a classical stylistic language aimed at simplicity.
Giuseppe Bovara was born on 12 June 1781 in Lecco to a wealthy family. Little or nothing is known of his youth. After completing his studies in Pavia, where he immediately had the charm of Roman art, he returned to Lecco around 1810 and began his career.
Engineer and architect, he is responsible for much of the urban redevelopment of the city of Lecco. He was one of the last exponents of neoclassicism, all that was not classic was considered by Bovara as “exotic extravagance”. Numerous interventions are attributed to him, including: the restoration of the facade of the church of the convent of Pescarenico; the church of Valmadrera, one of the most significant works, with white granite columns in perfect Corinthian style. Of 1818 is the church of Calolziocorte with a single nave, with a very wide octagonal coffered vault. Also by Bovara are the project for the bell tower of Villa d’Adda and the classical pronaos of the church of Pontida. He worked on the Visconti tower adapting it to prison; actively participated in all the works of the city plan.