Dongo, a village located on the north-western shore of Lake Como. It entered modern history because the last act of fascism was consummated with the capture and killing of Mussolini by the partisans.
Overlooking the lake, facing the imposing Mount Legnone, the town is a fundamental stop on the ancient route that connects the shores of Lake Como to the Mesolcina Valley, in the Grisons. This communication route was used by Como merchants to reach Bellinzona and from there to Germany. In more recent times it has been traveled by smugglers. An important tourist and industrial center, Dongo rises on the plain originating from the mouth of the Albano stream. Of Roman origin, Dongo was one of the oldest churches in Como. Combined administratively with Gravedona and Sorico, it constituted the County of the Three Pievi that knew how to oppose also the armies of Barbarossa. It was then given to Tolomeo Gallio by Philip II of Spain in 1580.
Dongo is also famous for its spinning mills and ironworks.
From 1400 there were working ovens for working the iron extracted from the mines of the Valle Dogana. The oldest inhabited center is located in an elevated position in the hamlet of Martinique. From the narrow alleys that branch off from the square, one reaches the oldest settlements in the town that correspond to the hamlets of Barbignano, Martinique and Mossanzonico, even though the rapid economic development of the post-war period has led to a notable building expansion towards the plain of Consiglio di Rumo. The signs of faith in the town of Dongo are evident and numerous. Worthy of note is the Romanesque church of S. Maria in Martinique. Inside it preserves the remains of 15th century frescoes. Built between the 11th and 12th centuries, inside a nave enclosed by a semicircular apse, among the sacred furnishings, a processional cross in gilded silver by Francesco di Gregorio of 1513.
Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Lacrime
Near the bridge over the Albano we find the Sanctuary of the Madonna delle Lacrime dating back to the year 1500, Madonna venerated as miraculous. Attached to the Sanctuary stands a large seventeenth-century Franciscan convent complex. The complex contains splendid frescoes, two cloisters and a precious library with over 23,000 volumes from the XV-XVIII centuries. It is preceded by a fourteenth-century portico supported by four granite columns. The interior has a single nave with four side chapels. The church is richly adorned with wooden statues. First of all the group related to the Last Supper, but the real treasure is the library with ancient and prestigious texts.