Claino con Osteno is a small town on Lake Lugano, belonging to the Intelvi valley. It is made up of small hamlets Osteno, Rescia and Righeggia which are located by the lake. The others, Barclaino, San Lucio and Claino are in a higher position and dominate the lake with a splendid view.
The name of the place is given by the major fractions. The history of the town begins at least a thousand years before Christ, with the settlements of the Caslè and then of the Alpe di Verna. The hamlet of Barclaino is located in an elevated position on the Italian side of Lake Lugano. It stands on the foundations of an old fort and from the name of the only square in the town, Forte Square. The remains of the walls and a tower are still visible today. Throughout the Middle Ages and during the period of the Municipalities, the town constituted an important strategic point, given its position of entry into the Intelvi valley.
Note the small oratory of the Madonna delle Grazie, rich in frescoes and stuccoes from the 17th century. The church dedicated to Saints Peter and Paul from the 13th century. It is enriched with frescoes and stuccos and is characterized by a picturesque baroque staircase. The village of Claino preserves a church of Romanesque origin dedicated to San Vincenzo with a semicircular apse and an imposing marble altar from the 1900s. Around it the nucleus of the town was formed. Even today you can see old houses with Romanesque portals, facades decorated with graffiti and frescoes, but also fortified houses from the Renaissance period.
Church of San Vincenzo
The parish church of S. Vincenzo in Claino is documented at the end of the 13th century. In the early fifteenth century a transverse forepart with a beautiful late-Gothic portal was built on the façade to house the baptistery. Inside we mention the Pietà painted by Gentilino in 1492; the terracotta of the Clainese Marco Antonio Prestinari, sketch of the work he sculpted in the Milan cathedral, depicting the Adoration of the Shepherds. Also a beautiful ancona of the late fifteenth century with the Virgin and Child with Saints; the eighteenth century Presentation at the Temple of Rocco Comanedi.
Far from the town of Claino, along the ancient path that led to Porlezza, stands the oratory of S. Giulia, which in the bell tower contains traces of a primitive Romanesque building. The oratory was almost entirely rebuilt in the seventeenth century and is preceded by a beautiful porch. Inside stucco statues by Francesco Prestinari (1640) and seventeenth-century paintings narrating the story of the Saint. Also in Claino, not far from the church, there is a strongly remodeled fifteenth-century palace. Of the ancient building, traces of masonry remain in well-aligned stone ashlars and some portals with a single-centered lowered semicircle, executed in stone square by the stonemason.
Church of San Rocco
The village of Righeggia is located west of Osteno. It is famous for having given birth to the Renaissance sculptor Andrea Bregno. It is very popular for tourism given its location on the shores of Lake Ceresio.