Carimate Castle. A gorgeous and classy castle.
The first news of a defensive settlement in Carimate occurred in the year 1149. The Castle was then destroyed in the war between Milan and Como. The construction of the Castle of Carimate as we see it now, dates back to 1345, when the fiefdom came under the dominion of the Visconti, lords of Milan. The building was used as a holiday and hunting post, but above all as a fortress to guard the ancient Via Regina, a communication road between Milan, Como and the Swiss valleys. Around the castle developed a small village of farmers’ houses and stables, all personal linked to the castle. Some forty years later Caterina Visconti had the perimeter ditch dug and the drawbridge built.
From the ‘400 until then, there were various stays of nobles, including Duke Giovanni Galeazzo and his brother Ludovico il Moro with Beatrice d’Este, Guido Arciboldi, archbishop of Milan, and other members of the ducal family. In 1496, traveling to Pisa, the emperor Maximilian I passed by Carimate. He liked the place so much, that he stayed there for seven days, having fun hunting deer in the surrounding woods. In 1795, the year of the death of Ludovico Visconti without legitimate heirs, the Visconteo period ended. The Castle and all the assets were transferred to the public domain. On 9 December 1796, the castle was purchased by Cristoforo Arnaboldi, a citizen of Como, who made the castle his residence.
The Castle was surrounded by a beautiful park of 30 hectares, with age-old plants, rare essences, greenhouses for precious flowers. Crossed by the Seveso stream that here and there originated small ponds, welcoming shelters for all kinds of game. Populated by pheasants, hares, deer and waterfowl, the property was considered one of the most beautiful small game reserves in Brianza. On the side of the castle is the church dedicated to S. Maria dell’Albero. In the past it was inside the walls of the castle and preserves inside valuable frescoes.
During the Risorgimento Vittorio Emanuele II of Savoy and Giuseppe Garibaldi, followed some maneuvers of the troops implicated in the conflict of the Third War of Independence. This historical event is described on the bas-relief engraved stone plaque, located on the north side of the high tower.
In 1874 the Arnaboldi united the Castle and the various surrounding properties that in the meantime had split up. The Castle of Carimate was subjected to radical restorations that gave it the current romantic aspect with the crenellated towers. In 1918 Count Bernardo Arnaboldi Cazzaniga died leaving the Castle to his daughter Bice Arnaboldi, married to Count Paolo Airoldi di Robbiate. In the war period, from 1943 to 1945, the Castle was occupied by the Germans who made it one of their headquarters. Bice Arnaboldi, also during the war period, always lived in the Castle which became, after the departure of the Germans, base and refuge for the partisan organization.
When Bice Arnaboldi died in 1954 the family decided to sell the Castle. The castle, the park and the stables are purchased in bulk by the Società Generale Immobiliare di Roma, still in their original configuration. Since then the Castle suffered a slow decline that led it to miserable conditions, until it was transformed into a Hotel.
On the square that leads to the drawbridge events and events are organized with spectacular scenery.