The origins of the church of S.Calocero, which together with the basilica of S. Pietro al Monte constituted a single Benedictine monastic complex, seem to date back to the ninth century.
The Blind House Civate is a vast complex of medieval origins, consisting of the Basilica of San Calocero with the beautiful crypt below, the large and elegant cloister, and a body that opens up to the lake that is presented in eighteenth-century robe.
In 1018 the church was named after the Saint but it is substantially around 1050 that today’s Romanesque basilica was built with three apses and a trussed roof.
In the 16th century, the Olivetans took over the construction of the cloister, but also the transformation of the church which in fact presents itself today in baroque style. A new vault was thrown lower than the previous one and in this way the remarkable frescoes that ran in the upper part of the original nave were concealed. Only the lower part can now be seen. The crypt, recently restored, is intact. The eighteenth-century body, still existing, has a long columned front porch, closed by windows, and preceded by a small garden. In the ’30s of the last century the Lecco Mgr. Gilardi bought the ancient monastery to make it the seat of the Blind House Civate for the reception of the blind of the War 15-18. The current destination is still the same, but has also become a home for the elderly.
Since May 2014, a raised path has been inaugurated that allows you to see up close the Romanesque frescoes present in the attic of the church.